Hazmat absorbent is multi-purpose
That bag of granular absorbent that you have sitting in your shop or in your garage can be used for more than just a hazmat oil absorbent. Here are some ideas for your granular absorbent to use beyond the oil spill.
- Use granular absorbent to absorb paint spills. A 10 pound bag of absorbent will absorb more than a gallon of liquid.
- Granular absorbent reduces musty, damp smells in the holds and cabins of boats.
- Carry a bag of granular absorbent in the trunk of your car and use it to aid tire traction on icy roads. It can also provide traction and improve safety on sidewalks, steps and driveways. Sprinkle a small amount on the ground before you get out of your car for foot traction on icy surfaces.
- Granular absorbent may be used to absorb small amounts of water that leak into a basement after a heavy rain or to help remove musty odors.
- Granular absorbents make an effective odor remover as well. Put some granular absorbent into a stocking and put it into an ice chest or stinky shoe, and the next day the odor will be gone.
- To deodorize an old stale-smelling refrigerator or freezer, pour unused granular absorbent into a shallow box and place in the center of the refrigerator. Unplug the refrigerator and leave the granular absorbent in for five days.
- Pour two inches of granular absorbent in the bottom of your BBQ cooking grill. This will absorb drippings and keep the grill clean. It provides better draft for proper cooking, and it will direct heat upwards because of its insulating nature. Since the granular absorbent soaks up drippings, danger of flare-ups is virtually eliminated. Do not use water to extinguish fire. Cover charcoal with the granular absorbent. Replace the absorbent material when it become saturated.
- Use granular absorbent to clean up pet accidents.
- If you have a problem with dampness and mildew in the bottom of your trash cans, sprinkle a thin layer of fresh granular absorbent; change the granular absorbent every week or whenever it gets damp.
- Granular absorbent may be used to get rid of spray paint (graffiti) on sidewalks. Sprinkle the granular absorbent over the “art work.” Do not use any water – drier is better. Put on a pair of old sneakers and grind the absorbent into the sidewalk. The paint should come out and you will get some aerobic exercise as a bonus!
- To lessen staining from fresh oil or grease spots on driveways and parking lots, sprinkle the spot with granular absorbent and wait a few minutes then sweep off. Dispose of soiled absorbent material in the same way you would dispose of used oil – in accordance with all local, state, and federal laws.